Closing date: 8th December
The School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol is seeking to appoint a full-time pathway 2 Research Associate in Climate Risk Analytics. The post has funding for 12 months as part of NERC-funded CGFI. The role holder will engage with Financial Institutions to undertake research into combined flood and windstorm risk in Europe. The postholder will join the hydrology research group and be line managed by Professor Paul Bates CBE FRS.
The primary activity of the candidate will be to collaborate with the research group of Professor Len Shaffrey at the University of Reading to produce a catastrophe risk model for combined flood and windstorm events. This will be based on discovering correlations between high wind speed and rainfall/river flow and then coupling existing flood and windstorm models at Bristol and Reading to allow these to be represented. You will also be expected to write up results for publication in leading international peer-review journals and collaborate with project partners in the risk modelling, insurance, banking and finance sectors.
The candidate should have:
- A good honours degree (or equivalent) with subject knowledge in the relevant area and some research experience.
- A relevant postgraduate research degree or equivalent professional qualification/experience or be working towards one.
- A strong understanding of flood inundation modelling, climate data or catastrophe risk modelling.
- Strong analytical skills within a package such as MATLAB, R or Python.
- Experience or understanding of writing up results for publication in leading international peer-reviewed journals.